First they will ask you why you do it, then they will as you how you do it.


Wednesday 9 May 2012

Strongman Run 2012 - Race report


The purpose of all my blogs is to record and pass on life lessons to my kids, to let them know how I became a runner and hopefully inspire them to be healthy and enjoy the outdoors too. 
As a parent I think that's my job. 
If anyone else cares to read it and it gives them a smile then thats just great.


So kids, here's a lesson for you; you have to do your homework. After a race we runners love to write race reports. It's usually boring and goes on about splits, pace, nutrition and distance but sometimes you get to run an extraordinary race, and writing that up can be fun.


So in other posts I talked about the lessons I learned from this event, but here is my race report. And some great pictures.

Back: Me, Chris M, Luke, Andy, Logan and Rob
Front: Lee, Chris B, Steve and Stuart


The Strongman Run is the worlds largest obstacle course, covering 14 miles and based on the world famous Nurburgring Race circuit in Nurburg, Germany. Two laps of the gruelling course see participants go through 30 obstacles, where they are pitted against mud, water, fire and quicksand. It is quickly becoming seen as THE assault course event to take part in. On arrival at the race I think I was most impressed by the sheer size of this event. The chief sponsor was Fisherman's Friend, a huge brand who clearly support and promote their product proudly. Everything was badged up in their colours and logo's and it made the whole event feel very professional and supported. Brooks also  supplied some  great kit for participants and finishers.


Pre race stood at obstacle 15
Before the race Team GB (pictured above) moved onto the start line together. I have no idea how far back we were from the front but after a half hour delay due to extreme weather, it took a further ten minutes to move forward after the clock started. I quickly realised that his wouldn't be a race where I would be looking at times or pace. This was to be an experience and an adventure. The Strongman Run is most definitely both of these things.


Once moving, the run went along the main track of the 'ring and allowed faster people to move forward in the group. The lap is best looked on at the website or on youtube, but climbing 9 foot fences, running through live electricity, swimming, crawling through quicksand and climbing up, over and across cargo nets soon became the norm. I ran with Logan and Chris B, for most of this lap. Chris B was fitted with a GoCam and I shudder to think how I look on this. It was not a pretty sight. Of particular note was Niagara Falls, a 40 ft waterslide which was actually closed down on lap 2. I nearly took someone out on this obstacle, she jumped out of the way a split second before I took her ankles out. When she heard me screaming at her and turned I realised she was old enough to be my mother! Another great obstacle was the Final destination. A Cargo net strung between 2 metal shipping containers with 100ft of dumped tyres preceding and following the main obstacle.

Despite some delays at a obstacles we moved forward together and completed a first lap.

Mud + incline + ropes= FUN


While I had felt some frustration at the delays on the first lap, these evaporated when the track started to open up and the crowds thin out as we entered lap 2. Still with Logan, who really helped me through this lap, we completed an identical circuit in less than half the time of the first. The obstacles this time were tackled as intended. At speed and with great effort. The whole crowd seemed to be digging in to their reserves, pushing hard and best of all encouraging each other.
This is no ordinary race with elitist race snakes at the front and fun runners at the back. No training will prepare you for this run. It works you hard and doesn't quit until you finish. Of all my medals, this is my most proud.


In recent events I've found that I've enjoyed the social element of the runs as much as the physical. Having trained and always run alone, this really surprised me. But this event isn't something that most people could do alone.


I saw men and women, young and old from all over the world taking part. Some in running kit, some in suits, dressed as knights, Romans, He-man and in mankinis. There was no limit or boundaries to the participants. You couldn't find a more diverse group of people, even within TeamGB. But one thing bound them and that was the passion to complete the course. Working together over 9'000 people finished the event.


This event lives up to its name totally. No matter how you arrive at the course, who you went with or how you were dressed. No matter what your level of fitness or strength, some people arrive at  this curse as a Strongman but every finisher leaves as a Strongman. And I am proud to put myself in that group.




My first and probably only decent finish photo
I have to thank Nikki and Nicole for their organisation and participation on the day and Steph for the great photographs. It was brilliant and a logistical nightmare and you both rocked it.


I wore Inov8 Roclites for this event and they kept me upright and moving in thick boggy mud, water and quicksand, while others in different shoes were slipping and sliding. They were brilliant and I would recommend decent trail shoes to anyone running this event.


Fishermans Friend is a huge brand and seeing and competing in this event made me realise just how huge. Their products were everywhere to be seen and tried and I must have eaten a ton of them. The menthol ones clear your breathing before a run and the mint ones clear your mouth after a few beers.


But mostly I would like to thank the rest of TeamGB for their help and support. I was inspired by their level of commitment and passion for sport. 


I wouldn't have gone if it weren't for one of them, 
wouldn't have made it round if it weren't for another and 
I wouldn't have come away inspired to train harder if it weren't for a third.


I won't name names but if/when we meet again I'll get the beers in for you.


Only one word can sum up The Fisherman's Friend Strongman run...


EPIC

No comments:

Post a Comment