First they will ask you why you do it, then they will as you how you do it.


Monday 28 May 2012

My first ultra-marathon

Kids. I started this blog off saying how running has taught me a lot and how I'm going to tell you how and why I became a runner. And I'll get there I promise, but first I need to tell you about one really special day I had, and what I learned along the way. It may help you, it may help someone else but the day was awesome and I have to share it with someone. It occurs to me that one or more of you may get into running and below is proof that I know what I'm talking about. So if you're considering running an ultra-marathon you need to read this...


So, a month after my first marathon, I haven't told you that story yet; I will, it's a good one; I entered the Northants 35 mile Ultra-marathon. As it was my first, I learned a lot, 
very quickly .....

Be prepared: Not just the boy scouts motto but a good lesson in life. If you know what you're going to be doing, then prepare as best you can. For me, I followed a 20 week training programme from Relentless Forward Progress by Bryon POWELL. I bought tried and tested kit and I tried and I tested it too. The weather was scorching so I opted for a hydration pack as well as the supplied fluids and I'm very glad I did. Standing at the start line knowing you're prepared is a boost for confidence. But 20 miles in, when you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and can see no-one around, knowing you still have back-up plans for nutrition and water is much more important.
Yes, map is upside down. It's in the correct orientation for the direction I'm running in.


Never be afraid to choose your own path. My ultra got off to a rocky start when I followed two guys out of checkpoint 1 down a steep hill. At this point I was feeling fresh and alert and downhills seemed like a good opportunity to pick up some gravity assisted speed. At the bottom of the hill the two guys stopped, got maps out and started pointing in all directions. It only then occurred to me that I had been stuck in a pack for 40 minutes and hadn't looked at my map at all. I vowed at this point to always have my map out and work out my own route. The navigation part of the run turned out to be some of my most enjoyable and I ran for about 10 miles with two guys relying solely on me for navigation.












Listen to what your body wants. I had a very planned out fuel strategy for the day, which wasn't too reliant on the Checkpoints/aid stations, but the heat, the relentless hills and the fact that I kept talking to people and losing track of time meant that I was way out. I never bonked once, but a few times I felt myself starting to go. At the first two aid stations it was GoBeyond cake, Jelly babies and drinks but after CP3 savoury food was added to the mix too. Until you have run an ultra, you have no idea how great a sun-warmed sausage roll and some luke warm water can taste. Only once did I lose control of my hydration. 3 miles from a CP I ran out of water. I didn't think this would be a problem, my 3 mile time isn't bad even on a hot day. But after 27 miles in 26 degree heat, it becomes a problem. They say that if you find yourself thirsty then you are already dehydrated. My advice would be carry more than enough water for any plan. Unless you're planning to win the event and need to travel light, it just isn't worth the risk.



















Listen to others, but also listen to yourself. I've always said that ultra-running seems to be the loneliest sport with the friendliest community and my first real experience of it certainly proved that. I set off and ran the first 5 miles alone, following a group that was slightly too fast for my target pace. They were supportive and chatty but also well out of my league. So as encouraging as they were I had to listen to the two mantras that have served me well since I started running.
1. Run the mile you are in; &
2. Respect the miles.
This was to be my furthest ever run, by 9 miles, so going away from a plan I had worked hard on and thought out was stupid and reckless. The physical and mental resolve required to push the human body through this level of torture is immense and as that dawned on me I got the confidence to ease off, slow my pace and pick up with some others.
Throughout the day I floated back and forth through various groups and talked at length with some great people, picking up advice and stories. 
Honestly, find a pace and run it, enjoy  it and when you have to walk, walk. When you can run, run. 











Keep smiling. If you love running and being outdoors then ultra-marathons give you a chance to do both of these things for a very long time. Although the picture above is only loosely related to a smile, trust me I'm happy. I'm at the final checkpoint with about 6 miles to go. My legs felt good, I had no aches other than blisters and although I was shattered I knew I was going to finish, no matter how long it took. I already knew I wasn't going to make my target of under 6 hours. That pipe dream died when I saw the weather for the day and the hills on the day! I knew there were people ahead of me and people behind me, I realised I didn't care where I was in that pack, because I knew I was going to finish and when I did I would be an ultra-marathon runner.













The rewards. Trust me, unless you are sponsored to do these things, ultra-running isn't about the shiny stuff at the finish. The medal is the usual affair for a low-key running event, with a nice ribbon attached, but like every race medal it represents so much more and like every tough run, the rewards are perhaps more than you realise at first.
I spent the day in the sun among like minded people in the beautiful countryside of Northampton. I met people who helped me and who I believe I helped to achieve something awesome, run 35 miles. I saw more country houses and Manor houses than I care to recall and scenery (and hills) that took your breath away. I was fed and watered for 7 hours and given the directions to an amazing course that challenged me mentally and physically more than ever before.
I was advised by lots of people to enjoy it and I can safely say that even when my head was low and the smile was fading as the sun shone down and the road ahead seemed endless I enjoyed every minute more than the last and celebrated a hundred small victories along the way.




Northants 35 Shires&Spires is run by www.gobeyondultra.co.uk
A last few points:

1) I needed a lot of support to get through this event. My Twitter feed went crazy on the day using #ultradan. Everyone who wished me well and congratulated me after helped me to accomplish and feel proud of what I did.I was blessed to have my Dad volunteer to come along on the day. He drove to every single checkpoint and even walked/ran with me for some parts of the course near the checkpoints. He offered me water and support and was a friendly face to look forward to seeing every time. I have no hesitation in saying I couldn't have done it without him. An amazingly generous man who gave up his day off to stand by checkpoints and keep me motivated and hydrated. He did a great job and is a model father. Dad, if you read this, I love you and thanks for everything, we did this together.

2) Do not put effervescent tablets in a sealed bottle. Seems obvious right, not so much. It turns out that your judgement fogs up badly when running long distance. You put 1 tablet  in a bottle of water wait two minutes and feel the fizzy refreshment. Or like I did you forget its there and put the bottle in your waste pack, hear a loud bang and get covered in sticky, fruity water. I watched the lid of my new OMM drinking bottle fly into the distance at a surprisingly fast rate. If anyone finds it, I would like it back.

3) I've always thought of running as being lonely and for a lot of training runs it is. But in events like this, human contact is everything. It gives a sense of solidarity and companionship as well as the knowledge that others are struggling just as much as you. So although I don't know their names, Northants running club guy, lady with nose piercing and guy that completed an Ironman last year, thanks for the company and the advice.

4) I got lost, twice actually and added nearly a mile onto my course distance. I have never been so uncomfortable or hot, sweaty and tired. I have spent the last 24 hours in a daze wondering if what I did was amazing or stupid and  think it was a bit of both. no one in their right mind would choose to spend 7 hours running in that heat over 2000ft of incline for 35 miles. But for those that do, you are rewarded richly for your effort.





NORTHANTS Shires & Spires Ultramarathon



7 comments:

  1. Very nice post Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post Dan, can't wait to join you as an ultra runner one day soon, what an inspiring story and great tips for all who aspire to run their first ultra.

    Hope to meet you in person and run with you one day soon.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Dan, thanks. Very thought provoking and as a 'veteran' of one marathon it has got me thinking... maybe, just maybe... Just about to order "Relentless Forward Progress" - the pain of last years Edinburgh Marathon has faded and I may have found my next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blogging Dan. You have given me the confidence, motivation and belief that an ultra marathon is something that I can at least contemplate. That's not something I ever thought I would say to myself, let alone in an open forum!

    Good luck with your next challenge!

    @runrforlife

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post there Dan, I fully relate to everything you went through after running my first ultra 5 years ago. It's truly a great adventure, well done once again!!

    @mrafletch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog Dan. What a great day you must have had. Well done again.

    ReplyDelete