First they will ask you why you do it, then they will as you how you do it.


Tuesday 5 June 2012

Be greedy with your goals

Kids, being greedy is almost never good. But when it comes to setting goals, you really can’t set enough of them.
I learned this the hard way when I started running and like most things, a lesson you learn in one aspect of your life has equally large implications on other areas.
After I started running I ran my first half marathon in Milton Keynes with your Uncle Joe. Like most things I do with my big brother, I got competitive and trained hard. I ran my heart out that day and finished my first HM in 1:45. I was well proud and certain that I was on for a career as a (veteran) athletic star. But three months later I entered another HM, set myself the single goal of beating that time and despite my best efforts, came in 3 minutes slower.
At no point did I stop to consider the variations in the courses or the weather or my training.
I hadn’t met my goal so in my eyes I had failed.
My second HM was not a success
Be certain of one thing kids, anyone willing to show up on the day and try their hardest is no failure. You only fail when you stop trying.
At that point I felt like I could have jacked the whole thing in, but luckily I got caught up in trail running and my mind-set changed and I let the disappointment fade, to a certain degree.
It wasn’t until 2012 when I was due to do my first Marathon in Milton Keynes that I started to set a number of goals for an event instead of just one. The goals were in no particular order:
1) Finish the marathon
2) Finish strong
3) Set off at 9min/miles and remain at that pace until mile 16, then reassess.
4) Smile across the finish line
5) Finish in under 4 hours
6) Follow a fuelling plan to practise for an upcoming ultra-marathon.


"You only fail when 
you stop trying."


Now setting a number of goals isn’t just to make you feel good for getting more ticks in boxes. It actually makes each event into a more developmental and positive experience.
For the record I met all of the above goals, but if I hadn’t it wouldn’t have mattered. 


If I’d gone off too slow, but still met the other five, it would have been just as beneficial. 


If I’d finished in 4:01:00 I would still have been a marathon runner which is no small feat.


Since I finished the race I've started applying this to other areas of my life. For years my sole focus of work has been promotion. I got distraught when it didn't happen, even when it was beyond my control. But recently I've added other goals around satisfaction and performance, and what do you know, work suddenly isn't about failure.


I guess the lesson in this one is not to limit yourself with goals that won’t help you develop. When you want to do something be greedy with your goals. Set loads of them and record them and aim to achieve as many as you can.
.
But know this. If you turn up on the day and give it your best, you’re already successful.

MK Marathon 2012 medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment