First they will ask you why you do it, then they will as you how you do it.


Tuesday 19 June 2012

Invictus

As I read back through the last few posts kids, it occurs to me that I have moved even further away from the story I was supposed to be telling you. The story of how I became a runner is all in the past, but it impacts on me every day now.

I believe that running has made me into a better person in every aspect of my life. It has helped me realise there are genuinely good people out there who help and support me just because they can. It's made me realise I am capable of so much more than I ever thought and given me confidence I never thought i would have. 

It's shown me how shallow reward can be without effort.

I'm not really sure when I stopped being someone who runs and became a runner, or if there was a particular moment when it changed. 

All I can say is that I remember a time before I was a runner; and I think I'm a better person after that time passed.

I'll give you an example....

I've been working for the same organisation for 13 years. My sole focus for all that time has been getting promoted, never getting better or working harder. I've judged myself only on my payscale and others' impression of me. I never knew I was doing it, and I'm sure as hell not the only one, but I got drawn into letting others impressions and expectations of me mould my choices at work.

All this was taken away when promotion no longer became a possibility due to economic crises   on an international level. The pathway that had been laid before me was suddenly removed, my route no longer clear.


Suddenly I was adrift; without focus or aim, direction or purpose.

I buried myself further in running and started to learn an important lesson in life. Only you can make yourself into the person you want to be. You are able to shape your own destiny as much as you can train for an event. No matter how big the challenge, it takes effort and dedication. 

It won't be easy and you may not get there first time.

But it will get easier and you will get there.

When I look back at my running career, I have to ask myself why it has been  more successful than my work one. Well, I'm passionate about it, I'm honest with my limitations and train hard to  overcome them; identify my strengths and exploit them. I don't worry about others impressions of me because I do it for me and not to impress them.

So I started applying this to my career instead and realised that I need to find something that I'm passionate about. I need to work to improve areas where I'm weak and exploit my strengths.

So I'm making some changes and I'll go into them later kids, but I guess what I'm saying is that we are each able and responsible for forming our own destinies. Don't let others expectations or impressions of you limit what you do.

Surround yourself with people who love and support you and reach for the stars. 

If you do, you may just get there.

In the words of a much clever person than I, below is a beautiful poem which inspires me regularly. Enjoy...


Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment