First they will ask you why you do it, then they will as you how you do it.


Saturday 16 June 2012

Work hard at being happy.

Kids, It has been three weeks since I ran my first ultramarathon. Reflecting on that time, it took a while to recover and a few days of eating constantly to get all of my energy back. The initial feeling on finishing the event was an anti-climax, but I can only describe the feeling of finishing my first one as a slow release high. It seemed to take a while to build but hung around for a long time after. It still gives me a buzz now!

Usually, the day after an event I crash pretty hard and start looking for a new event to book, to chase away the post-race blues. This time, I was happy to go with the flow for a while; take a step back and think about future plans.

Running ultramarathons is a big decision for me and a lot of other people. For some natural athletes with time to dedicate, this may sound a bit pretentious. But the truth is with a busy full time job and kids that I love spending time with, dedicating time to training is a big commitment.

But I also need to balance this against the benefits of running.

When I run, I become a better person.

For a whole load of reasons I won’t go into, sometimes I need a bit of help to get happy. Lots of people do and they each have their own way of getting that lift. For some it’s going to the gym or dancing, others smoke or drink. For some it’s buying new shoes or handbags. Well, running makes me happy. I don’t need to do it every day, but I do it when I can and never regret going for a run.

Today I described it as an addiction and it was pointed out to me by a friend that it’s a good addiction to have compared to some unhealthy ones. For me, it boosts confidence, my mood and my health. While it takes me away from home for a while, it’s the fact that I’m running home a better person that keeps me going.

So this week, plans for the future started to form. I’m looking to do three very different and special events in the rest of the year.

1) I’m looking to complete another ultra, a 40 miler this time, in Grimsthorpe. The event which first inspired me to try an ultramarathon when I first read about it.

2) I’ve got my Dad to agree to bike alongside me for a 34 mile run from central London, heading back home along the A5. The idea of running an event with my Dad is really exciting, like something that neither of us will ever forget. He is my original hero and role model and training with him will be great.

3) Run a 50+ miler along the Grand Union Canal towpath from London back home in December. This will be my first “50”. Hopefully with some guys off Twitter who have inspired me for ages, and I’d be proud to run alongside them.

When I look at how hard I had to train, at all the early morning and late night runs I have to ask myself if it was all worth it. I can hand on heart say that it was. I’ve got long term benefits from training and running the event, and I’m excited about planning and competing in the others.

So kids, sometimes you need to work hard to be happy. I assure you it is worth it.

Because being happy lets me be the best person I can be.

*************************

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog Dan, I am really looking forward to that run in Dec. Actually you are going to be the ultrarunner so I will count on your experience for help.

    ReplyDelete