First they will ask you why you do it, then they will as you how you do it.


Tuesday 12 June 2012

An ode to running.....

No child likes to believe that their parents are at all creative. The sheer thought that their Mum or Dad would express themselves through anything other than written notes or direct (nagging) instructions is too much for most kids to understand.

But here is one of my  little secrets kids, I like to write poetry. It's not something I'm proud of or something I believe I am particularly good at, but its something I enjoy doing. So when I think about running it inspires me and this is the result.

The first step out the door into pre sunrise morn,
Fresh air on my face as I wait for the dawn.
The fog on my breath from the chill in the air.
Turn my head to the stars and I stare a long stare.

Barely a stretch before feeling the beat,
Feeling the rhythm that starts in my feet,
A cursory check that I've got what I need, 
Then best foot forward as I build up the speed.

Feeling legs loosen as the miles start to pass,
The occasional thought that I'm going to fast.
But knowing that as long as I still feel the groove,
And let feet pass each other, I'll continue to move.

Whether I'm running on grass, pavement or snow,
Trails or woodland, wherever I go.
Whether the weather is rain, wind or sun.
I'll always be happy when I go for a run.

The achievement of running a little bit more,
Further or faster than you have done before.
The thrill's in the journey not just in the end.
But that's not the message I'm trying to send

Because the best part of running for me any way,
And the one thing I know at the end of the day.
Is no matter how far I run, walk and roam.
I'm running to you, I'm running to home.

Dad x




No comments:

Post a Comment